Thursday, September 9, 2010

I've been doing this for over half my life...

What you might wonder?  Watching Brett Favre play football.  Including right now.  He hasn't thrown an interception yet, because, well, he hasn't thrown the ball yet. 

So, how are we all?  I'm doing just dandy. I went to Target yesterday because I got a giftcard as a belated graduation present, and I needed a few things.  I walk up to the checkout counter (with the "I'm open" light on), and set my items on the conveyor belt.  The cashier finishes with the guy in front of me and then she turns to me with a look of pure annoyance on her face.  She simultaneously switches off her lane light and begins this conversation:

Her:  I'm closed.
Me: (pause) I just walked up and your light was on.
Her:  Well it ain't anymore and I'm closed.
Me: (with a curious expression on my face) It didn't even blink to let me know you were about to close.  You just turned it off right now.
Her: Yea because I just decided to close my lane.
Me: I have 3 items.  You can't just ring me up really quickly?
Her: No.  I'm closed.
Me: ....but you were just open?  And then you just decided on a whim to close.
Her:  Yep.
Me: Ok, I just wanted to make sure I had your inexplicable actions straight.

At this point I'm starting to get fairly irritated that she can't take the less than 2 minutes to ring up my chapstick, binder, and shampoo.  She then CALLS OVER the manager to complain that I'm being unruly.  Are you serious?!  Yes, I am serious.  I calmly explain what actually happened to the manager as Cashier McPanties-in-a-Wad rolls her eyes and tries to interrupt me.  Finally the manager leads me to an open lane, to which I ask her if this cashier is also going to make up her own schedule, and she assures me that the new cashier won't.  And I go on my way.  I'm still not sure what happened in there, but I do know that I got my chapstick, binder, and shampoo home safely.

Let's see, what else.  Ah, yes.  The blood drive.  They had a blood drive at work a few weeks ago, except unlike the blood drives at the law school, this one didn't happen in the middle of a common area.  They did the actual drive on the Red Cross mobile lab outside the office.  Yet somehow, the office STILL managed to smell like blood drive.  The scent makes me nauseous.  And the thought of being stabbed and drained makes me slightly light-headed.  I admire and praise people that donate their blood.  My dad is one of them.  Every time he can, he does.  And it doesn't even phase him.  I pass out.  Literally.  I have to be near cool wet cloths and orange juice/crackers every time I need a shot or blood test at the doctor.  I'm pretty sure that during a TB skin test the bubble in my skin made me faint on sight.  I just can't do it.  If there is every anyone I know specifically that needs my blood, I wouldn't hesitate, but I just can't do it for fun. 

Anyway, so the whole office smells like blood drive.  Latex, and blood...matter.  I can't really explain what exactly the smell is, but it's very distinct.  And then, somehow the blood drive smell infiltrated the air vents in my car, and EVERY TIME the air is running now it spews out blood drive odors into my car.  And this was weeks ago!  I don't get it.  I can't escape it. 

I suppose I'll finish with a count of things Cherry has eaten lately.

1. A dead bird off the sidewalk (she didn't eat it, but she really tried, necessitating me actually prying it from her mouth).

2. A frisbee.

3. Clothes hangers.  I don't even know where she got them.

4. My clothes.

5. Scott's contact case.

6. My almost-empty old shampoo bottle.  (???)  She actually walked INTO the shower to get this, took it to the guest bed, and went to town.

7. Cat litter.

8. The stuffing from one of her massacred toys.

9. Another pen.

10.  Truman's fur...that she pulled from his body while playing tug-o-war with his tail.


So, there you have it.  Have a good night everyone!

2 comments:

  1. that cherry is a mess! i learned how to draw blood yesterday at school. i could really use your veins as practice, k? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, ummmm, maybe some other time? I'm super swamped these days and I just don't think I can come down there to be drained. So, good luck! :) LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete