Thursday, September 16, 2010

A dose of reality...

Sometimes we're all guilty of getting caught up in what's going on in our own lives, we forget about what our life means in the grand scheme of things.  Yep, that's right.  I'm going serious on everyone tonight.  It's really easy for me to lament my misfortunes and challenges in my life, because it's my perspective and my definition of good and bad is based on the parameters set by my lifestyle and upbringing.  When I was nosedeep in books, or when I worry about my future, it seems like the most important thing happening.  That being said, sometimes it's good for me to get a healthy dose of reality.

I'm blessed.  No, I didn't grow up living in a mansion and my first car wasn't a Mercedes (RIP Party Prizm...with your two A/C knobs, requiring the removal of one to use on the knobless A/C control), but I never knew I was missing out.  My parents (the best in the world) made sure I had everything I could possibly need to thrive.  I didn't care that my playhouse was made out of a giant wardrobe box.  My dad cut a door and window shutters in that thing, and I was set.  I never missed out.  And even today, I might not yet be living the highroller life I imagined when I started law school (thanks economy!), but overall I'm surviving.  I live in a great place, and I have the whole world ahead of me.  It's easy to get caught up in the negative, but sometimes all it takes is a walk in the park to really remember what fortunes I do have.

Everyday in the park there are a variety of homeless people that come and go.  Sometimes they hang out on benches; sometimes they just go for walks.  When I first moved here, they made me nervous because they were part of the unknown.  Now they make me feel safe.  Granted some are probably sex offenders (I've looked it up and a vast majority in my zipcode are listed as homeless), but most are just people that have fallen on hard times and are making the best of it.  One in particular has really had an impact on me.  He is an older guy who often brings his little dog to the park.  His dog is this cute black dog that's well-nourished and not missing out on anything.  If anything she's well-taken care of, getting to go to the park all the time.  Everyday, this man brings his dog to the park, and he watches her as he sits on a bench.  His soft eyes have a quiet wisdom behind them, and the laugh lines that cross his face silently tell his story.  He never frowns, and no matter what, he always has one eye on his beloved dog.  I've never had a lengthy conversation with him, but when I do, there is so much I want to know.  People like him make me wish I could do more.  I've already promised myself that I'll never forget where I came from, and I'll never forget how fortunate I truly am, but it's people like him that will make sure I keep my promise.  It would be so easy for him to turn inward, and stumble along through the confusion and despair of living without.  But he doesn't.  He smiles everyday, and even on my worst days his quiet happiness and love for his dog make me stop and watch.  And when I do watch I can't help but smile too. 

On a different, but equally important note, I want to send a quick shout out to everyone who has believed in me all these years.  Thank you to my parents as always, who have made me their world since I was barely a plan for their future.  Thank you to my family, who have always supported me, even though we're separated by time zones.  Thank you to all my friends, who have always made me feel like a rock-star, and never doubted me, even when I doubted myself.  And even though he doesn't read this, I have to thank my love, who never fails to tell me and show me how much I mean to him.  If you DO read this, never doubt that the feeling is mutual.  Look out for us, because we're going to take on the world together.

Anyway, that wraps up my serious side.  Back to the regular programming.

I tried to get into someone else's car today.  A Jeep Libby that looked a lot like George.  The disconcerting part of this whole event is that a) I've done this before.  I tried to get into a grey Jetta a few years ago, failing to notice the BABY SEAT in the back, and b) my Jeep has some distinguishing features that you'd think I would notice.  Like, for instance, the fact that my Jeep has New Mexico plates.  Or the fact that my Jeep has an A&M and a Mizzou emblem on the back.  Or, perhaps the most obvious, the fact that my Jeep is BLUE, not BLACK.  "Wow Nikki, how do you not notice that this car isn't even the right color?"  I don't know, but if I were to pick an excuse, I'd go with the dimly lit garage.  Also curious about this situation is that I got off the elevator on a completely wrong floor of the garage and had no idea.  So when I discovered that I was essentially attempting grand theft auto, I panicked while frantically looking around for my own car.  I started pressing the lock button to hear the horn honk, and was baffled when it was coming from the floor below mine.  Sigh.  Some things never change.

And now, I've exhausted all my creative juices for the day.  So I bid you adieu, leaving you with the pic of the day.


Aww look at her go!

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE that you were able to take off (almost) from your blog title! congrats! love you!

    ReplyDelete