- I'd like to be a bit more spiritual. I went through a period in middle/high school where I was very religious, and I went through a period in college where I was quite NOT religious, and I've come to learn that neither approach was for me. I'm not meant to shout my beliefs from a mountain-top, nor am I built to ignore that there are blessings in my life made possible not only by my own hard work, but a little bit of faith and unexplained blessing as well. A little more quiet faith and more regular reflection will be good to have, especially in a profession where I often have to come face to face with the extreme misfortunes of others. Counting my blessings a little more can only make me more grateful for everything I do have.
- I'd like to stop focusing so much on those in my life who want yet don't give, and focus more on the people in my life who give without wanting. The friends who don't just call me when it's convenient for them, but the friends who truly make me as much a part of their lives as I do mine. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I will say it's amazing what planning a wedding will do to show you who really belongs in that special "circle of trust" in your life. I had some friends (actually most friends) who jumped through hoops to make sure my day was as special as possible, and those are (not surprisingly) the same friends who have ALWAYS done the small and big things in the name of friendship, and have since continued to be rock stars, rock stars I don't know what I'd do without. The friends for whom time and distance don't matter, because when we're together it's like we saw each other yesterday. For me these friends come from all walks of life- from high school, college, and friends I've met in recent years too. You all know who you are, and YOU are the friends I want to focus on, because you're the ones who make my life such an adventure.
- I want to grow as an attorney. I've learned so much this past year and a half-ish, but I know there is so much for me to learn. Cue the "lawyers are scum" and like-minded jokes, but I became a lawyer because I'm good at arguing and writing (my blog posts aren't a good sample of this because rarely do I make sure what I'm saying makes sense here), and because I genuinely wanted a career where I could do more than crunch numbers or sit behind a desk all day reading a computer screen. This past year has been trying at times, but I'm happy to know that even in some tiny way, I'm helping to improve the lives of the people I represent. I want to expand on that this year and continue to learn, grow, and get better at arguing. ;)
- This last one is slightly material, but I've resolved to purchase more shoes and some new purses at some point this year. And maybe start saving for that rhinoplasty I keep talking about. Someday my nose and I are going to have a medical showdown, and I'm going to win.
Monday, January 2, 2012
New Year's Resolutions
It's 2012! Whee! I hope you all rang in the New Year with laughter, happiness, and a little bit of bubbly. I know I did. Scott was working (which turned out to be a very good choice), so I rang in the new year with my coworker/friend and my dogs at her house with her boyfriend, dog, and some of her friends. Low-key but very fun. And, as always, the coming of a new year lends itself to me thinking what I'd like to improve upon. I can't argue that for the most part 2011 was pretty good to me. But, what can I change about how I live my daily life to make 2012 even better? There are the obvious things that EVERYONE thinks of, like "I want to be healthier", but I tried to think off the beaten path and here's what I came up with. I'm posting them so that I can hold myself accountable and I'd encourage you folks to look back at this and ask me in June how this is going. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like them all with the exception of the rhinoplasty. Your nose is fine! Leave it! You faint at the sight of a dry bandaid, how are you gonna go under the knife willingly!? Love you :) happy new year! I'm gonna get that Christmas present in the mail soon haha!
ReplyDelete