Friday, July 15, 2011

Oooookkkk.

I am status post lecture from Leah about my lack of updates (do you like my ability to mix in medical lingo??  I did that for you). 

I was completely unaware it had been almost two weeks since I last posted.  I guess I've been busy.  I'm quite relieved that it's Friday.  I had a busy week of hearings, meetings, and a brief due today.  Let's see...July 4th happened since I last wrote!  We grilled brats and corn with some yummy red potato salad (my favorite) as we watched baseball.  Then, around dusk, we walked over to the field near our house (which also happens to butt up to the ledge where Mizzou Arena and Faurot Field are).  The fireworks in Columbia were being shot off from the stadium parking lots, so we had a great view from our own neighborhood.  We took the dogs over, and it was just a big block party. 

I suppose we didn't really think the dog situation through.  They were fine, until the actual fireworks started.  At that point, Cherry lost it, and somehow wiggled out of her collar.  Once she was free she TOOK off running full speed back toward our house.  I sent Scott after her while I tried to wrangle Truman, who while not as panicked, was slowly making his way further and further into the brush off the walking trail.  My efforts to pull him OUT of the brush were useless, so I just sat there watching fireworks holding what looked like a leash to nowhere.  Once the fireworks started to pick up, Truman became more interested in leaving, so we started making our way back, all the while I was hoping Scott could find our little Usain Bolt safe and sound.  I came down our street to find him standing in the driveway.  Fortunately, all was well and Cherry had found her way home!  I've always heard dogs know, and I've seen the stories too, and Cherry did also.  Well, she was a BIT off, as she ended up in the bushes of a backyard across the street.  But still, pretty impressive!  Also impressive was that she literally jumped the fence to that yard to seek shelter. 

I went inside to find her under the guest bed, which has even less wiggle room than the space under our bed.  Every time she heard the faintest hint of a boom, she took refuge.   That included while I was showering, when she heard one and felt like she'd be safest IN the shower with me.  We've beefed up shower security since the last time she pulled the plastic hooks down, but this time she just pulled the whole tension rod out of place.  So, conditioner-filled hair and all, I had to remove her from the bath area, fix the curtain, and continue my shower.  When I got out, she was sitting in the closet.  Needless to say, celebrating America isn't really her thing.  At least celebrating America loudly, because she seemed to be happy to celebrate when it meant scraps of hot dog.  Oh well.  Two consecutive July 4th freak-outs.  I think we'll spare her coming with us next year.  If only we could find doggy ear plugs in time...

And with that, I'm off to enjoy my weekend! 

5 comments:

  1. Bahaha silly Cherry! Thanks for the update lady. I was developing hypertension waiting for this :)

    My mom used to have to board Maverick on the 4th or he'd go crazy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "our little Usain Bolt"....LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was also the "unknown" post until i figured out how to add my name : )

    ReplyDelete